Sunday, January 11, 2009

Darling, sweetheart, honey, beautiful......

I've been debating about an interaction I had earlier today with a customer and must clear my chest. He is already one of my least favorite people, along with his fellow womanizing, sleazy cohorts (some sleazier than others). I feel objectified and reduced in his presence. When he walks in, I feel a general sense of dread, wondering what he might say to me to make me uncomfortable. Oftentimes he doesn't say anything, which is a big relief. Today, however, I approached to take his order, giving him a simple, "Hello, how are you?" Instead of saying, "Hey Crystal. I'm fine. You?" he responds with, "Hello darling." I must add that it wasn't in a sweet, gentlemanly like way either. Simple enough though. Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things I suppose. But this time I was fed up. I looked him in the eye matter-of-factly and said, "Don't call me darling. My name is Crystal. My boyfriend wouldn't like it, and I don't like it either." At first I was feeling proud of myself for taking a stand. This one instance makes it seem like I'm overreacting I'm sure, but I just can't take it anymore. I shouldn't have to worry about taking a customer's order and being made to feel like I am nothing more than a woman at his service. Now I'm feeling a bit guilty. Have I taken it too far? Was I actually overreacting. He's still a customer. Or did I do the right thing? I wasn't mean. I didn't call him any names. Should I feel bad for standing up for myself, even if I get the rap for being a stuck-up bitch? Is my guilt stemming from society's expectation for me to be a nice girl? If I was a guy, that interaction would not have happened. I suppose my problem is that ultimately I don't feel empowered by the experience. Do I need to choose my battles? When is it necessary to speak my mind, and how do I do it in a way that is empowering? I hope that through my journey to find my feminist voice, I can come to a more resolute, positive conclusion. I don't want to be angry all the time; I want to be an uplifting part of the solution!

No comments:

Post a Comment